Vegetarian Pad Thai! Made with fresh vegetables, herbs and chopped peanuts. A healthy version of the famous take out dish made with gluten-free rice noodles, healthy fats and protein.
We look forward to Take-Out Friday’s, as we like to call it. That’s the day Joe and I take a break from the kitchen and order dinner from our favorite neighborhood restaurants. I love Thai food, Joe loves Mexican. We try to keep our take out meal as clean as possible by skipping fried, unhealthy dishes and filliping it for a side of steamed veggies or a fresh salad, for example (although I treat myself to the spring roll from time to time, because balance is important too).
But no matter how “healthy” we try to order take-out, it’s never as clean as we would make it at home. That’s why we decided to make our own version of the traditional Thai dish, Vegetable Pad Thai, by flipping unhealthy ingredients for healthy ones. We used organic veggies and herbs, gluten-free rice noodles, liquid aminos instead of soy sauce and coconut palm sugar instead of refined sugar. All fresh ingredients that were continently delivered to our door by our friends at Fresh Direct!
We hope you enjoy the recipe and don’t forget to tag your photos with the hashtag #OurFlipSideLife on Instagram.
Before I leave you with the recipe I wanted to share that I started a Health Coach training course at the Institute Of Integrative Nutrition. Through the pursuit of optimizing my health and my family’s health, I developed a passion for wellness and the mind-body connection that ties it all together. I’m excited for this new chapter and can’t wait to share it with you through new recipes, health tips and so much more.
Now, let’s get cooking!
8 oz (1/2 a pack) Pad Thai rice noodles prepared according to package instructions (I like this brand)
1 yellow zucchini, spiralized
1 green zucchini, spiralized
1 green pepper, spiralized
1 red pepper, spiralized
½ red onion, spiralized or chopped
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup peanuts, chopped
½ cup fresh herbs, chopped (cilantro, green onions)
3 tablespoons fish sauce (you can substitute for tamari sauce)
3 tablespoons vegetable broth
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1 tsp chili oil
1. In a bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
2. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Once hot, add the spiralized veggies including the red onion and stir-fry using tongs until tender and crisp, 2-3min. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Drain the rice noodles and add them into the hot pan you used to stir-fry the veggies. Add the sauce and toss using tongs, 1-2min or until the sauce has coated the noodles. The sauce will start to thicken and stick to the noodles.
4. Pour the egg over the noodles and toss to combine, 1-2min. You will notice all the ingredients coming together and getting sticky.
5. Add the veggies, fresh herbs and chopped peanuts and toss to combine one last time.
6. Remove from heat, plate and serve! Enjoy!